Until 1900, the Turin-based club wore pink kits during their matches. Then, in 1903, an expat living in Turin, named John Savage, called a friend in Nottingham saying the football team he played for needed to replace their faded pink uniforms. The man at the shop, however, happened to have a box of unused shirts that were black and white, and belonging to Notts County – so he sent those instead. It’s not like Mr.Savage and his Italian teammates would go all the way to England to complain anyway. From this day on, Juventus officially adopted the striped black and white kits, that are now internationally recognized and associated with The Old Lady.
Source: Historias del Calcio a través del fútbol – Enric González